ADSM-L

NT Cluster Question

1998-12-19 16:12:28
Subject: NT Cluster Question
From: Alan White <arw AT TIPPER.DEMON.CO DOT UK>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 21:12:28 -0000
Anybody running the ADSM client on an NT cluster? I would like the shared
filesystem to be backed up by the active node by declaring an ADSM node
responsible solely for the shared filesystem. The plan is to have the
scheduler service activated on failover etc by MSCS. If anybody can answer
the questions below it would help me get this going quickly.

1. Does the 'domain' statement respect the d: notation still?
2. If I do connect as the same node from each of the machines will the
shared filesystem be seen as two different ones now UNC naming is in place?
I.E. \\machine1\d$ and \\machine2\d$ when I would really need it to be seen
as the same by the ADSM server.
3. Can the registry entry containing the encrypted ADSM password be simply
copied between systems and still work? We have password expiry on in the
server so the password may cycle on one machine and the other won't know
about it until the scheduler fails to start on failover.

What I am trying to avoid is if everything were declared as default, i.e.
one machine = one ADSM node, and a failover occurs then the first backup on
the second machine would be a full backup impacting backup run times, ADSM
database space (e.g. 200,000 files in shared filesystem), and ability to
perform accurate point-in-time restores (and even find the right copy of a
file for a user).

Thanks
Alan