ADSM-L

Re: Problems starting client scheduler on AIX

1998-12-17 10:40:22
Subject: Re: Problems starting client scheduler on AIX
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:40:22 -0800
Yes, James' suggestion (below) may very well work
as a circumvention.

I am not an AIX wizard, but one possibility is an
AIX 4.3 APAR, IX83028. The problem description from
this APAR is as follows:

 PROBLEM SUMMARY:
 When stty is done in the background, it gets the
 current settings after the shell has set them to
 the mode that it wants which is usually raw mode
 in a shell that has vi history set. The setting
 of the modes then blocks because stty is in the
 background. When stty is finally put back into
 the forgound, the set completes but sets the
 modes in a way that the user does not really like.

 PROBLEM CONCLUSION:
 The solution is to put a signal handler for
 SIGTTOU. If this is caught, then stty can re-get
 the settings when it is finally brought back into
 the foregound.

You may want to check with AIX support on the
availability of a PTF. I can not find anything
indicating that a PTF is available yet, although
the APAR closed back in October.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

James Purdon wrote:

Maybe this would work for you:

$ nohup dsmc sched >/dev/null 2>&1 </dev/null &