ADSM-L

Re: Storage pool DSNs

1998-12-15 15:43:58
Subject: Re: Storage pool DSNs
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 12:43:58 -0800
Yes, I was getting at creating a second (or as many as you
need) device class with a different PREFIX. I accidentally
hit the "Send" button before I had a chance to complete the
thought (rarely am I ever that brief!). I was going to resend
it, but then someone else came in with the same idea I had
plus some elaboration, so I left it alone. Sorry about that.

On MVS, ADSM does not have direct control over the tape
environment, so the restriction you quoted from the book
goes for all tape device classes on MVS. Unfortunately
you have a physical resource restriction that, as you say,
will limit your flexibility in scheduling ADSM tape
operations; but with some creativity it might still work.
Use UPDATE DEVCLASS to adjust the mount limits as
necessary. Example:

1) When backing up the primary pool to the copy pool:
      PRIMARY  MOUNTLIMIT = 1
      COPYPOOL MOUNTLIMIT = 1

2) When reclaiming the copy pool (maybe once a week during
   off-shift hours):
      PRIMARY  MOUNTLIMIT = 0
      COPYPOOL MOUNTLIMIT = 2

3) At all other times:
      PRIMARY  MOUNTLIMIT = 2
      COPYPOOL MOUNTLIMIT = 0

Of course I do not know your ADSM processing requirements,
so ultimately you are the better judge as to whether this
can be made workable in your environment.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

> Check out the PREFIX parameter of the DEFINE DEVCLASS
> command.
>
> Andy Raibeck

I take it the idea of the above suggestion is to define one device class
for
volumes to be kept on-site and another device class for volumes to be
vaulted.
The discussion of the MOUNTLIMIT parameter for DEVTYPE=3590 includes the
following statement:

You cannot share drives between device classes (that is, the sum of your
mount
limits should not be more than the number of physical drives allocated to
ADSM).

Since the number of physical drives alllocated to ADSM is expected to be
only
two, the suggested use of device classes is tantamount to telling me to set
 up
two device classes with one device each. I think this will subject my site
the awkwardness of single drive reclamation. It will certainly limit our
flexibility in scheduling ADSM tape operations.