ADSM-L

J40 with 6 CPU gives worse performance

1998-12-15 12:54:06
Subject: J40 with 6 CPU gives worse performance
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 12:54:06 -0500
>    I have just upgraded the ADSM server V2 from 2 CPUs to 6 CPUs but the
> performance has reduced almost 5 times.I have also upgraded the memory
> to 1GB. As any one has encountered this wonderful experience. According
> to hardware experts I have all hardware in good condition.

I remember some co-workers at a previous job seeing similar pathologies after
additional CPUs were added to an Oracle server. It turned out that one of the
new CPU cards was slower than the old CPU cards and the rest of the new CPU
cards. I don't know the technical details, but the interactions between CPUs
caused the fast CPUs to be slowed down to the same speed as the slow CPU.