ADSM-L

BFS Files Not Released

1998-12-14 16:36:34
Subject: BFS Files Not Released
From: Paul Brown <pdbrown AT ASHLAND DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 16:36:34 -0500
Hi ADSMers,
   I seem to continuously have problems of old BFS files hanging around.  I
am running MVS Server 3.1 level 1.3 and have mostly NT clients.
I send all my BFS files to MVS DASD rather than direct tape.  I have all my
max days set at 30 for deleted files, static backed up files, and normal
backup.  My cycles are set at a max of 3 generations.  If a file is updated
daily I will only have 3 days of backup for that file.
I just ran some  'SHOW VOLUMEUSAGE' reports on some of my clients and I
have BFS files attached that are as old as 6 months.

Is anyone else having this kind of problem out there?

Also what is the quickest way to get these deleted?  DELETE VOLUME
DISCARD=YES takes forever!
Thanks,
Paul Brown
Manager Technical Support