ADSM-L

3570 -- I'll miss it

1998-12-14 11:34:10
Subject: 3570 -- I'll miss it
From: Chris Roelofs <Chris.J.Roelofs AT MAIL.ING DOT NL>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 16:34:10 +0000
     Oh yes, I'll miss those ADSM activity logs that go on for miles and
     miles, telling me about drives that cannot be opened, destination
     slots that are full, I/O errors, lost VCR data and more...

     I'll also miss the IBM CE's that come in to spend hours working on a
     faulty drive, replacing one part after another, loader assemblies,
     picker assemblies, drive logic cards, library auxiliary board... They
     share my wish that IBM makes a 3570 drive a FRU, but alas, still no
     luck with that one.

     People from operations will miss having to checkout 14 tapes one at a
     time, replying to requests...

     3570 technology is close to destroying ADSM credibility. Luckily, we
     still have an ADSM environment with 3494/3590 tech, which so far has
     not let us down.

     We are thinking about migrating everything to 3494/3590, and when we
     do we will finally have serious technology to meet serious
     requirements.

     Chris Roelofs