ADSM-L

Re: Multiple ADSM servers on one box

1998-12-09 12:12:42
Subject: Re: Multiple ADSM servers on one box
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 09:12:42 -0800
We've done this in the past--mostly in a big disaster situation,
but on principle it works in a production environment.

The key is to set the DSMSERV_DIR environment variable to the
location of your dsmserv.opt file prior to starting each
instance of the server. Most of us never deal with
this environment variable, b/c by default if it is unset ADSM
assumes /usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin.

A quick example startup script for two ADSM servers from one box
might look like this:

#!/usr/bin/csh -f

# Set variables for the location of the different options files

set SERVER1_DIR = /usr/lpp/adsmserv/serv1
set SERVER2_DIR = /usr/lpp/adsmserv/serv2

# Startup the first server

set DSMSERV_DIR = $SERVER1_DIR
nohup /usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin/dsmserv >& /dev/null &

set DSMSERV_DIR = $SERVER2_DIR
nohup /usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin/dsmserv >& /dev/null &

You can find further information on pp. 271-272 of the ADSM for
AIX Administrator's Guide in the section 'Running Multiple
Servers on a Single Machine'.

As to the second question, regarding the 3494, you only need one
lmcpd daemon, but you do need to divide the tape drives manually
between the two servers. What we did is define all of the tape
drives on each server, and then make half of them available on
one server, and half on the other. That way it's very easy to
move drives between the two servers.

Regarding memory consumption, the two main server options that
determine ADSM's memory allotment are "BUFPoolsize" and
"LOGPoolsize".

The main gotcha that we've experienced has to do with sharing a
3494 in general, and not with multiple servers on one machine.
Whenever you share the 3494, you just need to be a little more
cautious in your tape usage, and particularly re-use. We had a
situation where one tape drive was having read problems, and was
ejecting tapes because they were of an unknown type. The tapes
that were ejected got mistakenly put back into the libary as
scratch tapes for the ADSM server which did not originally have
these tapes, and they got overwritten.

 -- Tom

Thomas A. La Porte
DreamWorks Feature Animation