ADSM-L

Re: using a DLT

1998-12-09 03:06:03
Subject: Re: using a DLT
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 10:06:03 +0200
Can you give us a bit clearer info as to what you are trying to
do.
Current setup - intended setup etc.

If I understand what you are asking here, you have a central
adsm server (Mainframe/Unix/NT) and you have some servers
sitting out in  a remote location with a DLT drive connected to it.
If I'm right so far then you have two options:
Backup to the DLT attached to your remote server - or backup to your central
ADSM server (If you have the bandwidth).
Now to come to your question:

Yes you can backup directly to the DLT attached locally to your server,
but it is not possible by just using the ADSM client. You need to setup
an ADSM server, define the DLT to the ADSM server and then use the
ADSM client to backup to that ADSM server. (So in a Nutshell you have
the client and server running on the same machine).

You then end up with an ADSM server for each remote client you have to
backup (making it a bit more difficult to manage - depending on your
network.

Hope this has addressed your question - if you need additional info don't
hesitate to ask.

Regards
Christo Heuer
ABSA Bank
Johannesburg
S.A.

>We are thinking about using a DLT.  If it is local to a server, not the
ADSM