ADSM-L

Re: Raid or no?

1998-12-07 15:17:14
Subject: Re: Raid or no?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 15:17:14 -0500
We use an external RAID-5  cabinet for our storage pools, database, and
primary log copy.
I mirror the log on a physically separate internal disk though, and keep the
log in ROLLFORWARD mode.

That way I know I can recover, even if we lose the whole RAID set.

We haven't tested to see how much performance gain we would get using
independent drives.

The RAID has a lot of cache, so performance is not usually a problem for us,
and we want the reliability of RAID-5.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert