ADSM-L

Re: ADSM-L Digest - 23 Nov 1998 to 24 Nov 1998

1998-11-25 15:30:25
Subject: Re: ADSM-L Digest - 23 Nov 1998 to 24 Nov 1998
From: Robin Sharpe <robin_sharpe AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:30:25 PST
Tina,
We have several Oracle instances, and also SAP R/3.  We do not use the
Oracle or SAP utilities for backup; instead we shutdown the databases
and do a weekly full.
I understand ADSM = "Incremental Forever" (In fact, I'm thinking of
getting a license plate that reads "INCR FRVR"  :))
However, since our databases get updated every day, a daily incremental
would back up the entire database.  Our solution is to exclude the
Oracle database files from the daily backup... in a recovery situation,
a PIT restore would be done, then we would apply the archived redo logs
to bring the database back up to date.
We have a possible work-around.... we will create a second node
definition in ADSM for each client with a database, and the weekly
backup will be done from this node.  Another possibility is to archive
the database files rather than backup.
I was wondering how others handle database backups...
Thanks,
Robin