ADSM-L

DRM Disk Image Backup, Windows NT and Disk Arrays

1998-11-25 14:01:31
Subject: DRM Disk Image Backup, Windows NT and Disk Arrays
From: Jeff Connor <connorj AT NIMO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 14:01:31 -0500
     I am exploring the use of the ADSM DRM Disk Image Backup and Restore
for use with our Windows NT Server ADSM clients.  The client machines are
typically Compaq Proliant 2500 or 3000's with Smart /2 disk arrays.  I'm
not an expert on this by any means but the way I understand it the Compaq
array can be configured so it appears to Windows NT as one or multiple
physical disks.  It appears as though our NT admin group has been
configuring the array as one logical drive and partitions the one large
disk using NT into C: and D: drives.  This presents a problem for me if
want to use the ADSM Disk Image Backup because the array appears as one
large disk to the image backup utility even though it is partitioned as two
drives within NT.  The only solution I can see that will allow me to use
the Disk Image Backup is to partition the array into two logic drives that
are sized the same as the C: and D: NT partitions.  This would allow me to
perform an image backup of the C: drive only which is ultimately all I
wanted to do.

 I was wondering how other ADSM users handle using the ADSM DRM Disk Image
Backup with server disk arrays.  Are there any drawbacks, performance, etc.
if we configure the array's logical drives to the same size as the NT
partitions?

Thanks,
Jeff Connor
Niagara Mohawk Power