ADSM-L

Re: Your experience....

1998-11-23 13:39:07
Subject: Re: Your experience....
From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 07:39:07 +1300
One of the faculties here is starting into workstation backups.

Their policy was that the user stored their files in C:\DATA and they
ONLY backed up that directory tree.

But they discovered that, despite best efforts, not all of the user's
data ends up in C:\DATA.  As an example, the Netscape (or IE) bookmark
file.

We are doing some experiments on backing up the entire contents of the
hard disk.  The effect is that the ADSM server will now hold 500
copies of Win95, Office, Netscape, ... but all these files do not
change very often.

The exclude list will exclude the Netscape/IE cache files as they do
change often and are not candidates for a restore.

Russell