ADSM-L

Re: VM server 2.1.0.17 - performance when deleting tape volumes

1998-11-20 18:00:22
Subject: Re: VM server 2.1.0.17 - performance when deleting tape volumes
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 18:00:22 EST
In article <412566C2.002E0D60.00 AT mta.amadeus DOT net>, Andreas Peikert
<apeikert AT AMADEUS DOT NET> says:
>I just see the option to delete by date, not by usage. For
>what reason are the EXPORT, STGNEW, STGREUSE and STGDELETE
>records in the VOLHIST, if I can't keep these as long as a
>volume lives (some archive tape volumes do so for > 1 year)?
>I must have missed something - or is the VOLHIST just there
>to have a record of the volumes between database backups on
>top of the DB log?
>
>Best regards
>
>Andreas Peikert, Systems Programmer

The export, backupincr and backupfull tapes do not seemed to be
managed in the adsm db as the stg pool tapes are. So the only
location seems to be in the volhist file. If you use the adsm
del vol hist command on the export, backupincr or backupfull tapes,
then the server should call the tape exit to delete them from your
tape system. At least if you are using vm and somehting like vmtape
to manage the tapes.

It would be nice to be able to delete by entry. Either volser or
volhist file entry number. For exports you might what to delete some
but not all prior to a fixed date. Especially if you were using export
as a kind of node snapshot.

Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
203 SAS Campus Drive
Cary NC 27513