ADSM-L

Re: mksysb from exabyte tape library ?

1973-06-12 06:27:44
Subject: Re: mksysb from exabyte tape library ?
From: Pat Wilson <paw AT NORTHSTAR.DARTMOUTH DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:46:44 +22300819
Haven't tried it (yet), but I'd think it's possible.  You'll
probably have to shut down ADSM while you run the mksysb to keep
it from getting confused, but the machine should be able to find
the tape drive(s) (though you may have to run cfgmgr to find
them, and then remember to remove/restore the ADSM device names
once you're done); it _has_ to know about them at some level.

On restore, since ADSM won't be running, the machine should see
the drive as rmt0 just fine.

OTOH, I don't think I've booted AIX v4 from a mksysb tape alone -
I always boot from CD and then restore from tape.  I _guess_ tape
boot still works...

Pat Wilson
paw AT dartmouth DOT edu

>  Hi,
>
>  I am trying to make our aix adsm server "recoverable" but I have the followi
ng problem....

>  1) The only tape drive/s that I have available are in my exabyte 480 adsm li
brary.Is it possible to boot from a mksysb tape from one of these external adsm
 controlled scsi devices ?