ADSM-L

[no subject]

From: Fredrik Lundholm [mailto:exce7 AT CE.CHALMERS DOT SE]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Thank you Nancy,

> For multiuser systems such as UNIX, you may use the DSMC SET ACCESS
> command to authorize another user on the same ADSM client system.
> For example, if you use the ROOT user to backup all /home directories
> on MACHINE1 with ADSM node name of MACHINE1 but you would like to allow
> user KAREN to restore her filesresiding under /home/karen, you could
invoke

>     DSMC SET ACCESS "/home/karen/*" MACHINE1 KAREN
>
> to grant Karen the access of the files in /home/karen/ that ROOT backed
up.

OK, however, the users themselves are never allowed to log into THE
file-server where all the "/home/" directories reside.
 Users are allowed on regular workstations and from which they would
like to initiate a backup.

Becuase of how directories are distributed on disks the paths differ between
what the users see on their workstations and what they physically
represent on the file-server (soft links and different mount points).
The backup-archive-client only seems to let each node have their own
password opposed to each user.

So provided I distribute the node-password for the file server each user
on their associated workstation may initiate restores of their own files,
but does this let anyone with root-access on any of the workstations
to wreck havok with the whole archive??
If so, the method is unthinkable on our system.
I would feel much better if each user had their OWN password
accessing each node. This way no workstation-root user may destroy the
backup.

Or am I missing something? (still waiting for ADSM to ship) :)

/wfr/
--
Fredrik Lundholm
Fredrik Lundholm