ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Server on Solaris

1998-11-11 19:17:46
Subject: Re: ADSM Server on Solaris
From: Larry Chisesi <lchisesi AT COCOMP DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 17:17:46 -0700
We just completed an ADSM install for a client with 2 Sun 450 servers and STK
libraries.  Everyone involved was very impressed with the speed of the Sun
boxes.
The Quad ethernet card (we come into it off a switch) has been a winner!

Regarding end user backups, some ambitious types (not me, I'm way  too busy) may
want to look at seeing how to put a web server on each fileserver that is also
an
ADSM client, then let "end users" (desktops, typically), log into this with a
browser (all desktops have browsers now) and  their loginid's, pass a request
to it,
and then a backend process would initiate a dsmc restore or query command using
the
ADSM password, masked from the end user, that only looked for the end users
files!
Sounds simple!  You could atleast always get them to their own home directories.

Anyway, this would be a 3rd party product that a lot of users would want!   Many
sites have hundreds and even thousands of users sharing fileservers, and having
admin staff or help desk people do restores will soon appear to be archaic.  Of
course, maybe file servers will go away, especially now that IBM has announced
a 25
GB IDE disk drive for the desktop!   Now, everyone can have 25GB!

Larry Chisesi
CoComp Technical Services