ADSM-L

Re: Should I buy Magstar or DLT ..??

2015-10-04 17:51:03
Subject: Re: Should I buy Magstar or DLT ..??
From: Mark Dyer [SMTP:mark.dyer AT FLE.GMPT.GMEDS DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Ben has some valid considerations but let's look at other considerations
for DLT.

DLT is an Industry standard, not an IBM standard.
Because it is an Industry standard, competition is improving DLT
capabilities.

Also because of competition, media prices are continually dropping and
there are several sources for the media.Ben Kokenge wrote:

Maybe this isn't enough to help you decide one way or the other, but I
didn't see this opinion expressed and thought it was valid.

Regards,

> Depending on what your storage needs are will tell you what you want.
> For me, in general, I avoid DLT tapes at all costs.  They are clumsy
> and fragile, but they do hold 35GB native.  The problem with that is
> if you want to retrieve a file off a DLT, it may be at the end of the
> tape.  With a DLT the queue-up time is much long than any of the
magstars,
> and the search time is even worse, so be prepared to wait several minutes
> to retrieve one 3KB file.  With the magstar's I wait about 1 minute to
> get a file (and that include robot seek time).
>
> Another thing to consider is the life span of a heavily used tape.  The
> magstar's can be used over and over with less tape wear.  A DLT needs
> to be rotated after so many uses.  Also the heads of a DLT drive wear
> out quicker, so you will have to get them refurbished every now and then.
> Oh yeah, don't ever drop a DLT from 3 feet or higher.  The little tines
> in the tape break and you are out of luck.  The 3590 or 3570 form factors
> are tough (trust me I know heh)
>
> Don't get me wrong, I think the DLT has its niche in the storage field.
> It excels at little used; long term "cold" storage due to the price per
> megabyte of storage.  A DLT costs like $100USD/70GB (2:1 compression),
> which is $1.4USD/GB.  A 3590 costs like $65USD/30GB (3:1 compression),
> which is $2.2USD/GB.  Then you have drive costs where the 3590's are
> like 3x more expensive than a DLT.
>
> One thing you might want to look at are the 3575 libraries.  They are
very
> reasonably priced, and the 3570 tape is very slick.  They restore small
> files in less than a minute due to the fact that the tape queues-up in
> like a few seconds, and it is 1/2 through the tape from the get go.
>
> One last note.  ADSM is an IBM product.  Magstar is and IBM product.  Do
> you think you will have any software compatability/support issues if you
> stay with the same vendor?  I have to say this about IBM, they support
their
> products very well.  I think the 3570 will be IBM's flagship for the next
> 5 year or so.
>
> Really it comes down to:  you get what you pay for.  I believe in the
> philosophy that, "No one ever got fired for buying the best".
>
> These are just my thoughts,
>
> -ben
>
> Fred J Stellabotte wrote:
> >
> > Hi All ...
> >
> > We are in the final stages of purchasing ADSM ... we were planning to
> > use DLT (StorageTek 9714), but IBM and one of their vendors is making
it
> > very attractive($$$)  to use IBM's Magstar ...
> >
> > It seems that if I use the StorageTEK 9714 Library with (60 Tapes) I
must
> > purchase
> > the "Extended Device Support". But If I use IBM's Magstar Library with
the same
> [...]
(516)453-4228

Mark Dyer
Mark Dyer
Systems Administrator               e-mail: mark.dyer AT fle.gmpt.gmeds DOT com
Service Delivery - UNIX Team         voice: (810) 236-0373 [8-446]
                                       fax: (810) 236-9290 [8-446]

                     EDS North/West Region
                     Mail Stop 485-184-110
                     902 E. Hamilton Ave