ADSM-L

Re: NT ADSM Client Loop

1998-11-10 17:16:10
Subject: Re: NT ADSM Client Loop
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 17:16:10 -0500
I would like to issue one more plea to IBM development to PLEASE IMPLEMENT
SOME REGRESSION TESTING!

Each release of the Windows V3 client has introduced bugs into existing
functions.

For example, in the Win32 client PTF 1, dsmsched.log did not list backed up
files for WinNT systems.
For example, in the Win32 client PTF 3, the NT registry doesn't backup when
you do an incremental from the GUI.

These are functions that have existed since MANY PTF's AGO in the Version 2
client.

It is painfully obvious that no regression testing of basic functions is
being done.
Please tell your management that if they don't understand the concept, they
should hire somebody, or outsource the testing function.

We can tolerate releasing code to our users where added functions don't
entirely work right.
But releasing code that breaks long-existing functions is another matter
entirely.

We are STILL WAITING for a version of the Version 3 client that we can roll
out to our users.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert