ADSM-L

Re: OS/390 naming convention restrictions with ADSM?

1998-11-10 14:03:02
Subject: Re: OS/390 naming convention restrictions with ADSM?
From: James SPORER <james.sporer AT CCMAIL.ADP.WISC DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:03:02 -0600
     The restriction is you can only specify 8 characters in the prefix
     parameter of the define devclass command.  You wouldn't really want to
     use generation data groups anyway since these datasets are not
     cataloged.
     Jim Sporer

Author:  "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>  at IPNET
Date:    11/10/98 10:12 AM

Does anyone know whether there is a two-node DSN MVS (OS/390) naming
restriction within ADSM? I've been trying to allocate a new device class
using a 4-node DSN, but I keep getting an "INVALID PARM" for the prefix
parameter. I had wanted a very specific DSN for each domain's offsite
purposes, but can't seem to get past this little problem. I've already
checked into any security issues, and have even allocated GDGs with the new
4-node names, but ADSM still doesn't like what it sees. The documentation
doesn't mention any restrictions either...

Any tidbits of info are appreciated. Thanks.

C.L.Cannam
Storage Management/ADSM
GENAM/St. Louis, MO/USA
ccannam AT genam DOT com