ADSM-L

Basic question about offsite copy pools

1998-11-10 11:24:34
Subject: Basic question about offsite copy pools
From: Tomas Hallin <tomash AT EARTHLINK DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 11:24:34 -0500
Hello ADSMers,

We've so far used ADSM to locally back up our data.  Now it's time to
expand the horizons and use ADSM for disaster recovery, too.  So, it's
time to create a process for sending tapes off site.

I'm not sure I understand how this works.  What I've been instructed to
find out is how to create a three week rotation; sending tapes out
every day and having them returned after three weeks.  After what I've
read though, ADSM is as incremental in the copy storage pool handling
as it is everywhere else.  So what do I do?

If I create a copy storage pool, only the first backup stgpool will
result in a full backup.  From then on it's all incremental, right?
So, if I follow this approach, I'll probably end up sending a tape or
two (not all that much changes) plus a daily ADSM database backup off
site, but this way I'll never be able to get anything back??  And if
hurricane BillyBob (hey, I'm in the south) tears this place down a year
from today, I'll have 365 tapes to go through at the backup
installation before I've restored all the data?  I must be missing
something very basic here.  Please enligten me on how to implement
this.

/Tomas

Tomas Hallin
Affinity Technology Group