ADSM-L

ADSM or Veritas

1998-11-09 03:51:53
Subject: ADSM or Veritas
From: "Hough, Peter" <peter.hough AT GUARDIANDR.CO DOT UK>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 08:51:53 -0000
I have a very short timescale in which to recommend one of these
products. I won't have the chance to test. I have a couple of
questions I would appreciate feedback on.

1. The incremental only aspect of ADSM is extremely attractive.
However, large databases are a significant part of the data to be
backed up and Netbackup's  incremental only backup of these databases
is also very attractive.  Are there any plans for IBM to develop
incremental backups of databases? (I don't count backing up the logs
as incremental backup)

2.      When I was previously involved with ADSM encryption was something
discussed on occasions, but never made it into any IBM plans. Does
encryption now figure in any plans for future releases?

3.      I have been given the impression that throughput on Netbackup is
superior to that of ADSM. Has anyone had real life experience of the
relative performance of Netbackup and ADSM?

4. Are there any other key differences to look out for?

Any feedback much appreciated.

Peter Hough
Head of IT
Data Management Division