ADSM-L

Re: Exchange - Single Mailbox Restore ..??

1998-11-06 09:40:17
Subject: Re: Exchange - Single Mailbox Restore ..??
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 09:40:17 -0500
Fred,

The ADSMConnect Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server 1.1.0 also
requires a stand-by Exchange server for restoring individual mailboxes.

A few things to consider...

Mailbox level backup and restore for Exchange has been submitted to IBM
as a requirement for the ADSMConnect Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server.
So, the development team knows that customers would like this function.
But that function is not currently supported by the Exchange backup APIs.
The alternative means of providing that capability (through non-standard
backup/restore API's) has poor performance implications. We have asked
Microsoft to give us a backup API to do this and we hope that they will give
us something in the future.

In addition,  Exchange 5.5 includes a feature called "item recovery"
which allows for retention of deleted messages and folders for some
configurable period of time and recovery of these deleted items
through the exchange client interface (sort of an undelete function).
This provides a quick and easy solution for recovery of items lost
due to accidental deletion  which is the most common type of loss.

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM ADSM Agent Development