ADSM-L

Re: ATM-Problems

1998-11-06 03:11:56
Subject: Re: ATM-Problems
From: Christian Bolik <bolik AT DE.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 08:11:56 +0000
Dirk Pohl wrote:

>in last Time we graded some of our ADSM-Nodes in an ATM-Network from
>AIX 4.1.5 to AIX Version 4.2.1 . These Nodes take an ADSM-Backup to an
>ADSM-Server with 4.1.5 in the ATM-Network.
>
>There are hapening some things taht I can't understand, and maybe someone
>had the same problems and can help me.

Don't know if this is related to your specific problem, but since you're
backing up your data over ATM you may be interested in AIX APAR IX82691,
which fixes some critical problem with the ATM driver code.
I'm attaching the text from that APAR below.

-----------------
 IBM through system testing has identified a possible data error
 IBM through system testing has identified a possible data error
 on certain configurations of IBM RS/6000s.  Loss of mission
 critical data is possible.   We recommend you install the AIX
 V4 APAR described below at your earliest convenience to correct
 the potentiol problem.

 The affected ATM adapters are:
 Feature
   Code         Description
 ---------     -------------------
   2984        Turboways 100 ATM Adapter, MCA (Type 8-W)
   2989        Turboways 155 ATM Adapter, MCA (Type 9-9)

 All adapters shipped prior to October 30, 1998 running AIX
 versions 4.1, 4.2, or 4.3 are affected. Systems running AIX
 3.2.5 are not affected.   These Feature Codes were both
 factory orderabel and MES installabel on any 7006, 7009, 7012,
 7013, 7015 or 7030 machine types.   The potential problem is
 corrected with the installation of the following AIX APAR for
 the operating system level installed on your system.

 AIX Level       APAR Number
 ---------       ----------------
   4.1            IX82702
   4.2            <IX82691>
   4.3            IX82736

 The device driver problem occurs if a TCP/IP packet trans-
 mitted to the network is lost and must be retransmitted.  Under
 certain conditions the device driver uses the wrong data pointer
 and inserts IP header information into the customer data.  The
 conditions required for this problem are more than one packet
 sharing a data buffer and one of the packets uses exactly 64
 bytes at the head of the buffer.   The packet must also be
 retransmitted.   The potential impact to customers is loss of
 data integrity in TCP/IP applications like NFS, AFS, DFS, and
 ADSM applications.   Loss of mission critical data is possible.

 To determine if your system has one of the affected Turboways
 adapters installed, issue the following AIX command on the
 system:   "lsdev -C | grep ATM"

 This will display a listing of the ATM adapters configured in
 the system.  The adapters that are affected by the problem are
 listed as:
   atm0 Available xx-xx        100 Mbps ATM Fiber Adapter (8f7f)
   atm1 Available xx-xx        155 Mbps ATM Fiber Adapter (8f67)

 If any of these adapters are present we urge you to obtain and
 install the APAR as soon as possible.  You may do this by:

 1) Contacting your local service provider or IBM account team
    and request the APAR listed above fro your AIX level.

    OR

 2) From the RS/6000 Support web site at URL:
     http://service.software.ibm.com/support/rs6000

 Please follow the installation instructions provided with the
 APAR.

Regards,
Regards,
                     Christian

Christian Bolik
IBM SM IT Software Development ADSM, Mainz, Germany