ADSM-L

Re: Can WinNT client installation be automated?

1998-10-30 01:13:07
Subject: Re: Can WinNT client installation be automated?
From: Ben Kokenge <ben AT EDMS DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 00:13:07 -0600
I wanted the same thing a while back and found i had to make my own.
Here's what I did.

1)  Expand the install file to a hard drive in a C:\temp or whatever,
using the IP?????.exe -d command from the dos prompt.

2)  make all the changes to the dsm.opt file as you like (minus the
node name b/c that differs per client, but easily change in the GUI.)

3)  Run setup for that machine.  Once you do that you there is a file
called setup.iss (or something close, i have have to look again) that
is moved to your C:\winNT dir.  That setup.iss file contains all the
options you have chosen to install that client.

4)  copy that setup.iss file back to the C:\temp\ibm\adsm\baclient
directory, or where ever you have the setup.exe file.

5)  build an INSTALL.BAT file that has a line:
    C:\temp\ibm\adsm\setup.exe -s
and
    deltree C:\temp\ibm   -if you are feeling lucky and want to have
it clean up automatically.

The "-s" option uses the setup.iss file that contains all the answers to
the install you performed earlier.  it stand for silent.

6)  use some sort of packaging util, like installshield or LHA, which is
what i used b/c it was free, and build a self extracting package that
will expand the file into their sub directories (unlike the IBM packages).

Now if all went well, the end user will have to double click on the ADSMC.EXE
(the self extracting package file you created) and then double click on the
INSTALL.BAT.  They will hear their disk hum for about 30 seconds or so,
and then walla it will be installed w/o showing them anything.  Be warned, some
people don't wait long enough and check if anything installed too early.

Good luck,

Ben