ADSM-L

Re: Recovery log full, Can I get back up?

1998-10-23 10:43:48
Subject: Re: Recovery log full, Can I get back up?
From: Kirsten Gloeer <Kirsten.Gloeer AT RZ.UNI-KARLSRUHE DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 16:43:48 +0200
Hi,

> I've been experimenting with ADSM V3.1.1.0 on an NT machine, and I
> deliberately let my recovery log fill up (I'm experimenting...this is a crash
> & burn machine).  Not surprisingly, the server will not start now.
>
> In the event that this happened on a live machine, is there a way to force
> the server to start, such that the database or recovery logs could be
> expanded?

You can set the environment variables DSMSERV_CONFIG and DSMSERV_DIR and
issue the command

        dsmserv extend log logname size (in MB)

        e.g. dsmserv extend log log.dsm 8

Therefore, the log.dsm volume has to be in the directory DSMSERV_DIR.
Then you can start the server and initiate a database backup. After that,
you can reduce the log and delete the additional logvolume log.dsm.

> Also:
>
> With a server which has two drives defined in a manual library, is there a
> way to either tell ADSM which drive to use for a particular operation, (i.e.
> labelling tapes), or perhaps some way to at least determine which drive it
> intends to use for a particular operation?

It's possible to do a "query request".

Best regards,
Kirsten Gloeer.
Kirsten Gloeer                  e-mail: gloeer AT rz.uni-karlsruhe DOT de
Kirsten Gloeer                  e-mail: gloeer AT rz.uni-karlsruhe DOT de
University of Karlsruhe         Phone:  +49 721 608-6156
Computing Center                Fax:    +49 721 32550
Zirkel 2
76131 Karlsruhe
Germany