ADSM-L

Changing node names & saving data

1998-10-22 18:50:16
Subject: Changing node names & saving data
From: bbullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 16:50:16 -0600
   Here is my environment.

AIX 4.2.1
ADSM V2.1.5.18

  Background:
    We have one certain AIX server that has over 5.5 million files backed up
to our ADSM server, and is also using HSM. For obvious reasons we would like
to divide this server up into virtual nodes, each with it's own domain. We
have done this on other servers, and it has made the incremental/restore
times get much better because the "domain" statements keep them from looking
at all the other filesystems. This one poses a special problem because of
the large number of files involved. We don't want to have to back up all 5.5
million files again.

  Question:
    When we implement the "virtual node" scheme, the new "virtual nodes"
will backup all their data as if were new. We would prefer not to back up
all that data again because it will take a long time and we would then have
duplicate files backed up under both node names. The data is already there
on the ADSM server. I would like to just change the filespace so that it now
belongs to the new virtual node. Is there any way to do this?

I want:
AIX21_CLSTR               Bkup   /EI/arch03   STG_5YR        382,031
25,896.04   (when I do a "q occ" on that clients data)

to become:
AIX21_ARCH3               Bkup   /EI/arch03   STG_5YR        382,031
25,896.04

   I was looking into exporting and importing the node and the data with the
"export node", but it looks like when you import it back in, it will  import
back in under the same node name.
   I was also wondering that if I were on version 3 of ADSM, are you able to
use some ISQL statements and change the database around that way?
  OR... am I just going to have to bite the bullet and have it backup
everything again?

Thanks,
Ben Bullock (bbullock AT micron DOT com)
AIX system manager
Micron Technology Inc.