ADSM-L

Re: Moving and reconfiguring the ADSM DB

1998-10-15 14:45:17
Subject: Re: Moving and reconfiguring the ADSM DB
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 14:45:17 -0400
In <8625669E.0062A6BD.00 AT hubmail1.aal DOT org>, on 10/15/98
   at 01:13 PM, Cheri Howard <Cheri_Howard AT AAL DOT ORG> said:

>We have an MVS V2 server.  We would like to move our ADSM DB and logs to
>different  DASD volumes.   At the same time, we'd like to reconfigure our
>DB files from 6-2301 MB files to 15-1001 MB files.  We're also going to
>rename them from DB1-DB6 to DB10-DB24.  Below are the steps I'm planning on
>taking.  However, I'm not 100% comfortable that I'm doing this correctly.
>I'd appreciate any input - Thanks!

>   Allocate new DB, log and mirror files with new naming standard and new
>   size.
>   Do a full backup of the ADSM DB.  Also do 'q db f=d' and 'q log f=d'
>   Shut down ADSM.
>   Run DSMSERV INSTALL to initialize new DB10-12 and the logs to ADSM. (Can
>   only do DB10-13 due to jcl exec parm keyword length limitation of 100
>   bytes).  It's my understanding you do not have to run DSMFMT on these
>   new files....DSMSERV INSTALL will format and extend the DB for you?
>   Run DSMFMT on the DB 10-12 mirror files.
>   Run DSMFMT on DB13-24 and mirrors 13-24.
>   Start ADSM server.
>   Define DB volumes 13-24 to ADSM.
>   Issue q db f=d to determine maximum extension size available.  Then
>   extend DB by that amount.
>   Shut down ADSM.
>   Run DSMSERV RESTORE TODATE=TODAY to restore the DB from the most recent
>   backup.  Will the DB restore OK to the newly named, newly sized files?
>   Or will it have a problem because the backup contains the old named, old
>   sized files?
>   Start the ADSM server.
>   Issue 'DEFINE DBCOPY ...........' commands to define the mirrors to
>   ADSM.

You can and should do all of this with the server running.  I don't fully
understand what you are proposing, but it sounds dangerous.  I have done
this process before and I did it with the server running.  Here is how.

1.  define and format the new files via jcl.
1a. in adsm, reduce the db and log by the maximum reduction possible. 2.  In
adsm, define the dbvolumes, copy volumes and the same for the logs. 3.  DO
NOT ISSUE THE EXTEND {DB/LOG} COMMAND.
4.  delete your old db volumes.  delete a mirror pair.  The 2nd delete will
 cause a proc to start to copy the database out of the old volumes and
 into the new volumes.
5.  Do each pair of db and log one at a time and wait for the process to
finish. 6.  Now you can issue the extend command to make all the new db &
log
 space available.

Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell