ADSM-L

Re: Negative Value for Total Buffer Requests

1998-10-13 15:06:22
Subject: Re: Negative Value for Total Buffer Requests
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 15:06:22 -0400
Hello Anthony,

The problem is that the buffer requests value is defined
as a signed, 32-bit integer. Thus numbers greater than
2 GB will be treated as negative values.

I don't know what, if any plans are being made to change
this.

Generally speaking total number of buffer requests is
not of any practical user value; it is simply used to
calculate cache hit percentages (which explains why
those numbers are also "off"). For now I would recommend
that you run RESET BUFPOOL periodically to reset the
statistics (perhaps create an admin schedule).

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com

Today, when running the command q db f=d some of the information is coming
up strange. And my Cache hit percentages are not correct.  Yesterday, it was
at 99.39 %.

Any ideas why this could change over night?

Here is a cutout of the listing:

Current utilization of assigned capacity                : 70.6 %
Maximum utilization of assigned capacity            : 70.6 %
Physical volumes                                        : 28
Buffer pool pages                                       : 33536
Total buffer requests                                   : -2117286886
Cache hit                                                       : 0.00 %
Cache wait                                                      : 0.00 %

Anthony Jones
ITO-Platform Technologist
Koch Industries, Inc.
316-828-2432