ADSM-L

Re: SQL Agent Questions

1998-10-07 07:45:59
Subject: Re: SQL Agent Questions
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 07:45:59 -0400
Allan,

See answers embedded below:

-------------------------
Del Hoobler
IBM ADSM Agent Development
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

> 1) When will Archive/Retrieve functionality be part of the SQL Agent for
> ADSM?  It would be VERY handy.
***
*** At this time, there is nothing currently planned.  If you see
*** a new requirement for this that cannot be solved with the
*** current version, please talk with your IBM rep to get it
*** entered formally.
***

> 2) How do I backup a SQL database on one NT machine and restore it on
> another NT machine automatically?  We want to do this for testing and
> for verifying databases.
***
*** There are customers doing this.  Using the latest
*** PTF (1.1.1) of the SQL Agent, it is now easier to restore
*** a database backed up from one SQL Server to the other.
*** Doing this in an automated fashion via the command-line client
*** is a little tricky since you must specify the ADSM object name
*** of the database backup.  To do this, you will need to
*** issue the "SQLDSMC /ADSMQUERYDB" and parse the output
*** with your favorite scripting tool, such as Perl.
*** Here is one way to do it in a high-level view:
***
***   1. Backup SQL database DB1 from SQL server SRV1 with
***      "sqldsmc /backupfull:DB1" as ADSM node SRV1.
***
***   2. Once you know the backup is complete...
***      from SQL server SRV2 issue:
***      "sqldsmc /adsmquerydb:DB1 /adsmnode:SRV1 /adsmpwd:xxx"
***      and parse the output to get the ADSM object name
***      to be used for the restore command.
***      It is important to connect to the ADSM server as the
***      same ADSM node name as you did when running the backup.
***
***   3. Take the parsed output of the query (the ADSM object name),
***      and issue the following command (all on one line)
***      on SQL server SRV2.
***      "sqldsmc /restorefull:DB1,10071998072312.db,SRV1
***         /adsmnode:SRV1 /adsmpwd:xxx"
***
*** This is just a starting point, but it can be done...
*** ...and is being done my some SQL Agent customers... maybe they
*** they will append to this FORUM with even more details...
***