ADSM-L

Re: Operator console

1998-10-06 07:00:54
Subject: Re: Operator console
From: Mathew Warren <MWarren AT TANDB.CO DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 12:00:54 +0100
Hello People,

We dont get this problem because the whole DRM process is controlled via a
single script.

The script is run and handles all the checkins / requests etc.. etc.. behind
the scenes. The Operator does not have to issue any commands to ADSM at all.

The script builds lists of tapes to checkout / checkin from the libraries and
tells the Ops which tapes to remove / insert as it sends checkin / checkout
commands to ADSM. It then watches for any requests and replies when appropriate.

The process basically looks like this;

build list of tapes to checkout
issue checkout command to ADSM
print message to Ops - 'Please remove tape A00001 when it is ejected from
library lib1, hit enter wwhen ready"
get request number and reply
rinse and repeat as necessary.

Ok, it doesnt look pretty but there is no need for a good interface when all
the Ops need to do is read the message, move the tape and press enter....