ADSM-L

Re: Missed Schedules

1998-09-30 16:54:49
Subject: Re: Missed Schedules
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:54:49 EDT
In article <0B79CC6337BFD111962A000629052E6F3738B3@WD21EXCH001>, David
Beardsley
<DavidBeardsley AT WINN-DIXIE DOT COM> says:

>I am running 2 ADSM servers and a total of about 60-70 nodes. I am randomly
>getting missed in my status I also randomly get an error that is said to be
>hardware with my tape drive. I have talked to the help desk and they seem to
>think that the missed are coming from the hardware. Note: I am dumping an
>initial copy of all by backups to a 150 Gig hard disk partition. My
>incremental backups are not quite that big yet. Does anyone out there have
>any ideas what could be the cause of the missed backups. Or be able to give
>me new directions to look at to fix this problem.? I am using the .3 client
>code and the .3 server code.

Hello David

The first place to look for why backups are missed is the clients.
Most of the errors are found there. Look in the directory where
adsm is installed, unless you configured adsm to store it's log files
some where else.

Look at the dsmerror.log dsmsched.log and for windows 32 clients the
svcerror.log file.

If the adsm scheduler is running it should be updating the reason it did
not have a good backup session in one or more of these files. Sometimes
to get a good picture you have to look at both.

If you have schedule mode prompted defined then the server should be
trying to contact the client for the backups. If it reached the client
and the client failed then it should be in the client's log files. If it
did not reach the client then the reason should be in the servers actlog
file. Unless it was a more subtle error.
Like the server not having enought scheduled slots open during the
backup window to handle some of the clients, or a software bug in the
server etc.

So in summary I would check the client for errors or lack of anything.
Check that the adsm client is running. If not start it.
If it is stop it and restart it, and check out the messages that it
puts out in the log files. When you start it it should go into session
with the server to check out the next schedule window. This will check
out that the client is configure correctly, that a schedule is defined
for it etc.

Good luck len

Leonard Boyle, Minframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle, Minframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
203 SAS Campus Drive
Cary NC 27513