ADSM-L

Re: Exchange Agent

2015-10-04 17:53:22
Subject: Re: Exchange Agent
From: Del Hoobler[SMTP:hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Janie,

The Exchange Agent has 4 backup types:
   Full, Copy, Incremental, and Differential

A "Full" and "Copy" backup contain
the database file, all transaction logs, and a patch file.

An "Incremental" and "Differential" backup contain
the database file, all transaction logs, and a patch file.

Each backup will show which type it is in the
backup history list on the Restore Tab.

So you might see:

  Directory            Full  SERVER1 09/25/1998 03:22:32  100M  ORGNAME
SITENAME
    Directory          Incr  SERVER1 09/29/1998 09:22:32   10M  ORGNAME
SITENAME

  Information Store    Full  SERVER1 09/26/1998 06:22:32  600M  ORGNAME
SITENAME
    Information Store  Incr  SERVER1 09/30/1998 10:22:32   25M  ORGNAME
SITENAME

It sounds like your "Restore Query" only specified the
Information Store.  Select both diamond shaped icons
in the tree view, and press the "Refresh" button on the Restore Tab.
...or just press the "Show All" button.
It should show you what you have backed up for the
Directory and what you have backed up for the Information Store.

What do you mean it wouldn't restore it because it had the same name?
If you tried to choose MORE THAN ONE "Full" and/or "Copy"
of the same database then the Exchange Agent warns you
that you only need to restore one of them.
This is because each "Full" and/or "Copy"
backup is a COMPLETE REPLACEMENT of the entire Information
Store or Directory databases, so you should only be
restoring one "Full" or "Copy" to get your database back.
On the other hand, you can restore multiple
"Incrementals" or "Differentials" since these only
represent transaction logs.

So, to restore the Directory database, you should choose
only one "Full" (or "Copy") and then restore the desired
"Diff" or "Incr" backups.

Then repeat the above step for the Information Store.

I hope this helped. If not, please let me know.

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM ADSM Agent Development
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com