ADSM-L

Re: *ANR5335E Volume xxxxxx already used.

1998-09-30 11:42:05
Subject: Re: *ANR5335E Volume xxxxxx already used.
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:42:05 -0400
In <3612474B.B7E94E94 AT unicamp DOT br>, on 09/30/98
   at 11:59 AM, Josi Floriano Granconato <floriano AT UNICAMP DOT BR> said:

>Hi friends,

>ADSM Server:               MVS OpenEdition 5.2.2    (ADSM Version 2,
>Release 1, Level 0.13/0.13)
>ADSM Clients:               WinNT-95-98 -AIX - OS/2
>=====================================
>During back up process (by TCP/IP), I'm receiving the msg (see MVS log):

> .  .  .
>ANR5321I End of volume reached for HC0318 on device 2501.
> ANR5208I Dismounting volume HC0318 (updated).
> IEF234E K 2501,HC0318,PVT,ADSM,ADSM
>*IEC501A M 2501,PRIVAT,SL,COMP,ADSM,ADSM,ADSM.BFS
> IEC705I TAPE ON 2501,HC0323,SL,COMP,ADSM,ADSM,ADSM.BFS
> ANR5323I Assigning volume HC0323 to SCRTCH.
> IEC271I MESSAGE DISPLAY 'HC0323' ON 2501 ISSUED BY JOB ADSM

>*ANR5335E Volume HC0323 already used.                     <<<?????>>>

> ANR5208I Dismounting volume HC0323 (updated).
> IEF234E K 2501,HC0323,PVT,ADSM,ADSM
>*IEC501A M 2501,PRIVAT,SL,COMP,ADSM,ADSM,ADSM.BFS
> IEC705I TAPE ON 2501,HC0333,SL,COMP,ADSM,ADSM,ADSM.BFS
> ANR5323I Assigning volume HC0333 to SCRTCH.
> IEC271I MESSAGE DISPLAY 'HC0333' ON 2501 ISSUED BY JOB ADSM
> ANR1340I Scratch volume HC0333 is now defined in storage pool BACKTAPE.

>.  .  .

>ANR5217I Dismounting volume HC0333 - 3 minute mount retention expired.
> ANR5208I Dismounting volume HC0333 (updated).
> IEF234E K 2501,HC0333,PVT,ADSM,ADSM
>.  .  .

>This is happening with some cartridges.
>In the RACF, these cartridges are free to R/W.
>This message is not available in the ADSM V2 Messages (SH35-0133-02) or CD.

>Thanks so much for your help,

>Floriano
>=======

>-<Attachment #1, unnamed (4209 bytes), text/html 7bit>-

I am including the message from the version 3 message manual.
You need to review your procedures for managing the volume history.

Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Cambridge, Ma.
bcolwell AT draper DOT com
  A45EMC01   GC35-0271-01
  A45EMC01   GC35-0271-01

 ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager: Messages

 ÿ Copyright IBM Corp. 1993, 1998

 16.121 ANR5335E
 ÿ Copyright IBM Corp. 1993, 1998
 ÿ Copyright IBM Corp. 1993, 1998

    ANR5335E Volume volume id already used.
    ANR5335E Volume volume id already used.
           Explanation:  A tape volume is mounted as scratch for use by the
           server. After mounting the volume, the server determines that the
           volume has already been used by the server and cannot be used to
           satisfy the current mount request.  Mounting the volume as scratch
           may have destroyed some of the data previously written on that
           volume.
           System Action:  The server dismounts the volume, detaches the
           device, and reissues the original request.
           User Response:  Mount a volume not already in use by the server.
           The damaged volume must be replaced, restored, or deleted from the
           volume history file.

           *   If the volume is an Export, Database Dump or Database Backup
               volume that contains data that is no longer needed, use the
               DELETE VOLHISTORY command to make the volume available to ADSM
               for reuse.

           *   If the volume mounted is an Export or Database Dump, the tapes
               are no longer good and another export or dump must be taken.
               If the tape is a current Database Backup volume, a full backup
               must be done to insure a complete backup exists.

           *   If the volume is a storage pool volume, audit the volume.  If
               it is a primary volume and a copypool exists, restore the
               volume.  If it is a copypool volume, backup the storage pool
               again to insure a backup copy exists for all files.

           It is strongly recommended that you use the DEVCLASS EXPIRATION or
           RETENTION parameter to protect your tapes and prevent damage to
           tapes you create in the future.