ADSM-L

WinNT Registry restore function ...

2015-10-04 17:53:22
Subject: WinNT Registry restore function ...
From: Christo Heuer [SMTP:christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hi,

Has anyone ever needed to restore the registry of an NT server
to an earlier version of the backups?
When you do a dsmc regrest entire it only brings back the latest
backup of the registry.

If there is a way to somehow say you want -inactive versions or
make use of the -todate options or something in that line please
let me know - the documentation does not mention any versioning
parameters that can be used.

The reason I'm asking this is that your registry can become
confused for some reason but you might only realize this at
a later date. The only work-around I've found was to restore
the dsm.sys files, boot up form a Win95 startup disk and
copy the registry files manually - this was all fine because
the NT boot drive was FAT - but if it was NTFS we would
not have been able to restore the registry!

I'm still trying to get hold of the RedBooks on NT Bare Metal
restore, but I thought I'll take a shot at the list - and maybe
point out something that people are not aware of....

Regards
Christo Heuer