ADSM-L

AW: WinNT Registry restore function ...

1998-09-30 08:35:43
Subject: AW: WinNT Registry restore function ...
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:35:43 +0200
Christo,
there are two steps ADSM does to get the registry saved:
1. Copy the registry contents to the directory c:\adsm.sys\...
2. Perform a backup of this directory (during regular incremental backup)

For a restore it's the other way round:
1. Restore adsm.sys
2. Copy the contents back into registry

I think regrest only can restore active files, but you can do the restore as
you want manually:
restore -inactive -subdir=yes -... \\server\c$\adsm.sys\*.*

I don't know about the options of regrest on how to skip the restore of the
active version. The last time I tried this, I selected all files from
adsm.sys and copied them into winnt\system32\config, where the registry
resides.
This of course only works when you did not boot your system from winnt. It
has to be started from another drive or another directory to get this simple
copy to work.

If you find a solution using regrest or another online registry copying
tool, please report this to the list. I think this would be a worthful
enhancement.

Regards,
Michael
--