ADSM-L

Re: Exchange Agent - Server out of data storage space error

1998-09-28 16:15:22
Subject: Re: Exchange Agent - Server out of data storage space error
From: Chris Zaremba <zaremba AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 16:15:22 -0400
Christopher,

>I am also getting the error "Server out of data storage space error",
>EXC_MOUNTWait and TAPEPrompt are set to YES.
>
>I am trying to backup a 10GB store, the problem appears to happen when the
>disk pool runs out of storage. If I do a full backup during a time of
>relative ADSM server inactivity and the total diskpool is available for the
>Exchange connect agent then the full backup operation completes.
>
>Does the following information from the ADSMConnect Agent Site refer to this
>problem ?

No. I don't believe the "out of storage space" error is the same as the file
aggregation problem described
in the Notice.  What msgs do you have in the server activity log for this
problem?  Are you getting an object
size estimate exceeded msg?  Does your disk pool point to a tape pool as its
next pool?  If so, you should
only get an out of storage pool space error in 2 situations:

  1. An object was being written to disk, the object size exceeded the original
size estimate and there was
      not additional space available in the disk pool to accomodate the
additional size  (Note that the server
      uses the size estimate to preallocate space in the disk pool)

 or

  2. You were writing to the tape pool, you reached end of volume and you did
not have another empty or filling
       tape to which to continue writing.

Since your description indicates the backup was going to a disk pool, I believe
you are encountering  the first
condition.  This condition can occur because we don't know for sure when we
start backing up the transaction
logs for the IS databases, exactly how big the transaction logs will be.
Because the IS is online and activity
against it is continuing while the backup is being done, we cannot be sure how
much it will grow during the
course of the backup.   When we estimate the size of the transaction log
object, we do include a certain amount
of space  to allow for growth, but if there is a lot of activity against the IS
during the backup, it may still end up
being bigger than we estimated.

The best way to avoid this problem is to send the exchange backup data directly
to the tape pool.  When writing
to tapes, the ADSM server will continue writing as long as there is space
available in the pool, regardless of
the initial size estimate.

Another possible approach is to increase your disk pool size to ensure that
there is sufficient space in the disk
pool to contain the backup size of all clients for one night (assuming that you
migrate to tape on a daily basis).

Chris Zaremba
ADSM Agent Development
internet  zaremba AT us.ibm DOT com