ADSM-L

Re: Dr Watson Errors

1998-09-28 12:00:15
Subject: Re: Dr Watson Errors
From: "Louie, James" <LouieJ AT NABISCO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 12:00:15 -0400
Phil - We had a few of those errors recently on NT ADSM V3.1.1.3 (PTF 4).
We were alerted to the following from IBM.  It did seem that our server
crashed when reclamation was being performed.  We've turned it off for now
and do it only when there are no other processes or jobs scheduled so that a
crash would not be that critical.

James Louie
Nabisco

APAR IC21569

ERROR DESCRIPTION:
 During reclamation processing, an NT ADSM server could abend.
 Sometime the following output is generated:
 .
 ANR9999D pkthread (xxx) adsm exception info code ...
 attempt to write at address 0
 ANR9999D asalloc.c(xxxx) Missing allocation storagepool
 LOCAL FIX:
 Stop reclamation processing
 PROBLEM SUMMARY:
 * USERS AFFECTED:                                              *
 All NT V3 ADSM server server performing reclamation.
 * PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:                                         *
 During reclamation processing, an NT ADSM server could abend.
 Sometime the following output is generated:
 .
 ANR9999D pkthread (xxx) adsm exception info code ...
 attempt to write at address 0
 ANR9999D asalloc.c(xxxx) Missing allocation storagepool
 * RECOMMENDATION:                                              *
 Apply ptf when available.
 The reconstruction code was rearranged to allow the
 thread responsible for writing the data to the
 target media, to complete before the reconstruction
 control thread completed.  This prevents the control
 thread from storing a value of zero into a variable
 which causes an abend on NT.
 PROBLEM CONCLUSION:
 The sink thread now completes before the control
 thread gets control.
 TEMPORARY FIX:
 Disable reclamation.