ADSM-L

Re: no Scratch!

1998-09-25 21:53:17
Subject: Re: no Scratch!
From: Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 19:53:17 -0600
Dwight Cook wrote:

>      Also see what their status is in the library...
>
>      from aix do a "lsdev -Cc tape" to get the lmcp#
>      then do a "mtlib -l/dev/lmcp# -qI > librinv" or something like that or
>      view on the screen, the volser will be 1st position and the category
>      will be the second... FFFD is a 3590 cleaner, FFFA is manually
>      ejected, 012C & 012D I believe are the hex representations for the
>      install defaults for private & scratch tapes under adsm...300 & 301
>      but our atl's show 012C & 012E  so is it OS/2 that can't convert
>      dec->hex or AIX that can't  and what will happen when this bug gets
>      fixed ? ? ? will all out scratch tapes go away ? ? ?

No bug.  A 3494 originally was designed for 3490(E) tapes and drives
(L10, D10 library modules).  The 301 Scratch category (012D hex) would
be used if you had 3490 drives/tapes.  302 (012E hex) is used for
3590's.  300 (012C hex) is used for both in private because vol's and db
backups (and exports) are all associated with a devclass (thus devt is
3490 or 3590 and is known).  Scratches, which are libvols, don't have a
fixed devclass, but do have a devtype, through the two scratch
categories.

Other artifacts of the 3490 history is the need for devt=3590 for
checking in 3590 tapes into a 3494 using ADSM, and the requirement for
the enable3590library parameter in the dsmserv.opt.

Cheers...
Bruce