ADSM-L

Re: DIRMC - anybody using it?

1998-09-25 10:29:52
Subject: Re: DIRMC - anybody using it?
From: Mathew Warren <MWarren AT TANDB.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 15:29:52 +0100
Hello,

I was in a situation where we had to use it a while back for the Novell
restores.

It sped up the restores by huge amounts - I cant remember the exact details
(different contract & six months ago) but it was definatley worth it. It
changed Novell restores that were going at a rate of approx 50 - 100mb / hour
to a more respectable 2Gb / hour or so. (Respectable considering their network
anyway.)

a sideline; We had a PMR out with IBM for about a month trying to work out why
the restore was so slow - they event sent 'experts' over to examine our setup
and try to solve the problem. At the end of the month somebody 'remembered' the
DIRMC option that prevents novell directory details going to tape.

As far as I know its only Novell that needs the DIRMC option, something to do
with the fact Novell file entries would be to big for the ADSM database so they
are sent to tape by default. (ADSM V2)

(Again, sorry for the T&B gubbins at the bottom of this message - If I could
stop it I would)

>>> Matt Cleland <adsmrus AT STLNET DOT COM> 09/23 7:51 pm >>>
Just wondering if anybody has tried the DIRMC client option, and what effect
it has had on restores.  According to the recently published Performance
Tuning guide, it allows you to specify a different MC for directory backups.
Thus upon restore, the directories (which get pulled back first) can come
from a fast, random-access storage pool, instead of from tape.  I guess it
could potentially speed things up quite a bit, if you had directories spread
across multiple tape volumes.  The guide makes it sound like ADSM does a
two-pass restore, directories first then files.

** IMPORTANT INFORMATION **
This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("the Intended
Recipient")
to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is privileged and
confidential
within the meaning of applicable law. Accordingly any dissemination,
distribution, copying
or other use of this message or any of its contents by any person other than
the Intended
Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly
prohibited.

If you are not the Intended Recipient please contact the sender and dispose of
this email
as soon as possible. If in doubt contact the Tibbett & Britten Group Network
Administration
Department on 01707 391010 (UK).