ADSM-L

Question on Extendiing Retentions for Files Already Backed Up

1998-09-24 17:38:23
Subject: Question on Extendiing Retentions for Files Already Backed Up
From: "Glass, Peter" <Peter.K.Glass AT NORWEST DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 16:38:23 -0500
> Juraj,
> I liked your technique for extending the expiration date for files already
> backed up under ADSM. One of our users needed to extend their expiration
> dates for a particular file, backed up on a particular date. I followed
> your
> procedures, and then had them do the incremental backup, pointing at the
> new
> Management class that I built for this purpose.
> But now this question arises:
> Does this user need to keep using this new management class from this
> point
> on (which means that all new backups will have this extended retention,
> which they don't need?)
> Or, do they change back to the usual management class after they've run
> the
> the incremental that extends the retention? If they change the management
> class back, wouldn't this also change the retention back to the way it was
> before they rebound to the new management class? I actually recommended to
> the user that they do this, and now I'm having second thoughts about the
> soundness of this idea.
> If they stay on the new management class, they would be backing up a lot
> of
> files with retentions far longer than they need.
[Glass, Peter]
sal AT msmail.keba.co DOT at (Sal Salak Juraj) on 09/18/98 09:02:00 AM
To: Donald W. Daniels/FFIC@FFIC
cc:
Subject: Re: ADSM expectations too high??

Hi,
here are my 2 ounces:

I see no way to place your files into ARCHIVE without restore/archive
them.

But you can let them easily keep for long time in their current backup
pools, assuming they still exist in fikle system:
1) create management class with expiration settings you need
2) assign this management class to your files
 (edit dsm.opt, add INCLUDE Myfile NewManagemenClass)
3) and run incremental backup. UIt will not backup the files again, only
rebind them.

However, I have no idea how to achieve this if your files are already
deleted from file system.
If you will learn how to do it, please let me know.
Juraj SALAK