ADSM-L

ADSM for standalone server

1998-09-24 11:38:23
Subject: ADSM for standalone server
From: "Louie, James" <LouieJ AT NABISCO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:38:23 -0400
Does anyone out there have any experience or thoughts on using ADSM on a
standalone NT server.  We have many field offices with a single NT server
and Arcserve going to a SCSI attached tape drive.  We'd like to have all
machines in our enterprise use ADSM if possible.  I see many problems with
this, especially in a DR scenario.  If the lone server dies, so does the
ADSM server, and all you have is a pile of tapes and hopefully a DB backup.
Now you have to reinstall NT, reinstall ADSM, recover ADSM system, recover
NT server data, etc.....  Right now it's much simpler using Arcserve's DR
addon product, boot with a special floppy and NT install CD and stick your
last backup tape in the drive and a little while later, you've recovered the
server.  Also keep in mind that these locations do not have any IT
personnel, so we depend on a national service provider that often has
minimal skills in recovering servers.

James Louie
Nabisco