ADSM-L

Re: incl/excl with diff mgnt classes

1998-09-24 10:50:35
Subject: Re: incl/excl with diff mgnt classes
From: Mathew Warren <MWarren AT TANDB.CO DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 15:50:35 +0100
Hello,

Forgive If I am wrong, but I think the incexc list as you have it is sending
ALL files, regardless, to the weekly managment class. The incexc list is
processed from the bottom up, and uses the first match it finds.

I am not sure about the reboot problem though. If the file is being
incrementally backed up it must have changed since the last backup for it to be
backed up again.

Matthew Warren.

>>> Ben Kokenge <ben AT EDMS DOT NET> 09/24 3:07 pm >>>
Here is what I am up against.  We have a UNIX box that wants to
backup most of it's data nightly, and it's *.log files weekly.  No
problem, I have the standard mgnt. class backing up nightly and
a weekly mgnt. class for weekly log files.  In the incl/excl file I have:

include *
exclude /.../*.log
include /.../*.log   weekly

So far so good.  Here is my problem (or lack of understanding).
This machine needs to be rebooted every now and again (this part
is out of my hands), and when that happens the WEEKLY mgnt.
class resets it self (I believe).  If we have a  .LOG file backedup
yesterday, then you reboot, it seems to backup again the next
night.  If we don't reboot the UNIX box, it will only backup the
.LOG files once a week.

This can't be right.  I believe I am employing something wrong here.

I was thinking about using polling instead of prompting for the scheduler,
but I doubt I would gain anything.

Comments/critisism/ben-yer-an-idiot/ ?

-Ben
** IMPORTANT INFORMATION **
** IMPORTANT INFORMATION **
This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("the Intended
Recipient")
to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is privileged and
confidential
within the meaning of applicable law. Accordingly any dissemination,
distribution, copying
or other use of this message or any of its contents by any person other than
the Intended
Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly
prohibited.

If you are not the Intended Recipient please contact the sender and dispose of
this email
as soon as possible. If in doubt contact the Tibbett & Britten Group Network
Administration
Department on 01707 391010 (UK).