ADSM-L

incl/excl with diff mgnt classes

1998-09-24 10:07:30
Subject: incl/excl with diff mgnt classes
From: Ben Kokenge <ben AT EDMS DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 09:07:30 -0500
Here is what I am up against.  We have a UNIX box that wants to
backup most of it's data nightly, and it's *.log files weekly.  No
problem, I have the standard mgnt. class backing up nightly and
a weekly mgnt. class for weekly log files.  In the incl/excl file I have:

include *
exclude /.../*.log
include /.../*.log   weekly

So far so good.  Here is my problem (or lack of understanding).
This machine needs to be rebooted every now and again (this part
is out of my hands), and when that happens the WEEKLY mgnt.
class resets it self (I believe).  If we have a  .LOG file backedup
yesterday, then you reboot, it seems to backup again the next
night.  If we don't reboot the UNIX box, it will only backup the
.LOG files once a week.

This can't be right.  I believe I am employing something wrong here.

I was thinking about using polling instead of prompting for the scheduler,
but I doubt I would gain anything.

Comments/critisism/ben-yer-an-idiot/ ?

-Ben