ADSM-L

Re: 3570 Tape Cleaning

1998-09-24 05:00:11
Subject: Re: 3570 Tape Cleaning
From: Mathew Warren <MWarren AT TANDB.CO DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 10:00:11 +0100
Hello,

We use a couple of 3570's here and they seem to need cleaning manually.

When I started here there were lots of read / write errors and Lost-VCR data
errors but nobody had bothered cleaning the drives because they all thought it
should do it automatically. Since I have been doing it manually every couple of
days everything has been fine (.......)

I have been wondering about how often to change the tapes myself, but havent
found a counter that tells how often they have been used.

Maybe Pen, Paper and a Tally??

MAtthew Warren

>>> Shane <shanesmith AT WESTPAC.COM DOT AU> 09/24 7:25 am >>>
Hi

We got some nasty errors on our 3570-B12 unit and we ran the
Cleaning tape manually through it a few times and it now seems quite happy.

Does the 3570 automatically use the cleaning tape as required? IBM recommend
the tape to be changed after 100 uses. How does one know when the 100 has
expired? Is there a counter somewhere?

What do you people do with cleaning tapes? How often do you use them? Do you
depend upon the auto-clean feature of the unit, or do you prefer to do it
manually?

Regards
Shane

** IMPORTANT INFORMATION **
This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("the Intended
Recipient")
to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is privileged and
confidential
within the meaning of applicable law. Accordingly any dissemination,
distribution, copying
or other use of this message or any of its contents by any person other than
the Intended
Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly
prohibited.

If you are not the Intended Recipient please contact the sender and dispose of
this email
as soon as possible. If in doubt contact the Tibbett & Britten Group Network
Administration
Department on 01707 391010 (UK).