ADSM-L

Stale NFS Handle on HP10.20 during backup

1998-09-23 13:22:31
Subject: Stale NFS Handle on HP10.20 during backup
From: "Price, Robert R." <pricerr AT WESTINGHOUSE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 13:22:31 -0400
I have recently found the following problem:

1) Client HPUX 10.20 (ADSM level 3.1.0.5)
2) Server on AIX 4.1 at level 3.1.1.5
3) During scheduled backup, files in an NFS mounted filesystem
(/a/D/GROUPS/... on Windows NT) are being backed up in filespace /, even
though the DOMAIN specifies only ALL-LOCAL.
4) The backup eventually fails with: "ANS4010E - stale NFS Handle"
5) If I run: "dsmc i /"  repeatedly the following happens:
   a) The first execution backs up nothing and all I see are the nnn files
processed messages.
   b) The second execution expires all of the erroneously backed up
/a/D/GROUPS/... files and backs up what has changed.
   c) The third execution backs up the few files that have changed since b).
6) I can repeat this every day after the nightly scheduled backup.
7) If I schedule a backup during the day, everything appears to run
normally.  That is no attempted backup of /a/D/GROUPS/...

Has anyone else seen this phenomenon???

Thanks.

Bob Price

Westinghouse Information Systems
4350 Northern Pike
Monroeville, PA 15146-2886

Email:   pricerr AT westinghouse DOT com
Voice:   (412) 374-3247, (WIN) 284-3247
FAX:     (412) 374-3470, (WIN) 284-3470