ADSM-L

Re: WinNT restore - No Desktop

1998-09-22 11:48:19
Subject: Re: WinNT restore - No Desktop
From: "Moir,Betsy" <betsy.moir AT ABBOTT DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 10:48:19 -0500
Someone had suggested we do a regrestore and we did this, but got an error
message which said, "Registry hasn't previously been backed up for machine
BATMAN2.  This machine has always been and still is called BATMAN2.  So we
didn't quite understand that part.

The end user normally logs on to his machine as Administrator.   After the
restore was done and he logged on as administrator he discovered that NT had
created an Administrator.000.  Somehow he determined that NT was reading
Administrator.000 which contained a default desktop rather than his restored
desktop.
He then logged off and logged on as Trapw.  He renamed Administrator to
Administrator.hld - copied Adminstrator.000 to Administrator - renamed
Administrator.hld to Administrator.000 and rebooted and logged in as
Administrator again.  This time he got most of his desktop back, but not the
lotus suite setup he had before.  He's also bumping into things as he uses
them that NT can't find such as PictureIt, when he tried to look at an MPG
file in Lotus Notes.  It had been restored.

Do any of these things mean anything to any of you and do you have any ideas
on how we can get everything back to square one - or is it even possible to
do so?   Someone had also mentioned to this user that there is a number in
the Profiles\Administrator that NT can't read in the restored version and
that's why Administrator.000 was created with the default desktop.  What
doesn't make sense to me is, if it's a bad number why is it any more
"readable" in Administrator.000 than it was in Administrator?

Any input would be appreciated.  My user doesn't think that getting "most" of
his desktop back is good enough.  Thanks

ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu on 09/18/98 05:35:23 PM
Please respond to ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu @ INTERNET