ADSM-L

ADSM and Unix sparse files

1998-09-18 13:49:31
Subject: ADSM and Unix sparse files
From: Geoff Allen <geoff AT WSU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 10:49:31 -0700
We've run into problems with ADSM and Unix sparse files. It seems that
the client is trying to back up the expanded file, rather than the
actual file data.

We had originally run into this with our "quota.user" file on Digital
Unix (with over 20,000 users). We excluded that file in the
include/exclude file.

But recently, the "lastlog" file, a sparse file which *had* been
backing up just fine, suddenly started trying to back up as a 60MB
file, rather than the 800KB that it really is. I'm not sure what
caused things to change (haven't changed anything in ADSM and aren't
aware of any change in the Unix system).

Anyway, does/can ADSM correctly handle sparse files? The fact that
"lastlog" was backing up properly for some time would seem to imply
that it does, but the recent change might imply that the sparse file
handling isn't robust? Is anyone aware of any factors that might
influence ADSM's handling of sparse files?

For what it's worth, the client is 3.1.0.1 on Digital Unix 4.0d. The
server is 3.1.1.5 on AIX 4.2.

Geoff

--
Geoff Allen, geoff AT wsu DOT edu, <http://www.wsu.edu/~geoff/>
Geoff Allen, geoff AT wsu DOT edu, <http://www.wsu.edu/~geoff/>

Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.  (Author unknown)