ADSM-L

Re: Difference between archive and backup?!?

1998-09-18 13:47:26
Subject: Re: Difference between archive and backup?!?
From: Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:47:26 -0600
Henning Pedersen wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> I know that this sounds stupid - but I've never really endulged myself into
> the
> intricacies of the ADSM Archive process. What exactly is Archiving - and how
> does it differ from storing several versions of backup files and later
> migrating these into long-term tape storage pools, using policy and management
> classes?

Archiving is completely independent of backups in ADSM and each archive
version of a file is independent of others.  When a file is archived it
is treated according to the archive copy group of the management class
it is bound to (or the management class specified with the -archmc
parameter).  This archive copy group specifies the length of time to
keep the file (retention) and the storagepool to send it to.

With both backup versions and archive versions, the treatment of the
file while it is in a storage pool is the same as long as the file is
retained.  In other words, storage pools are managed as they are managed
(files get migrated if the storage pool threshold is reached, they get
reclaimed from one tape to another if a full tape's utilization drops
below a threshold, etc.) independent of the type of data (backup,
archive, and hsm).

Because of the different properties of archives and backups, you
probably will put them into separate storage pools.  For example, as you
mentioned, you might have it go to a tape pool right away.

> Regards,
> Henning Kilset Pedersen
> IBM Global Services/Managed Operations IBM Account
> Phone : +47-66815776      email : pedershk AT no.ibm DOT com

Cheers...
Bruce