ADSM-L

Re: Cross Client restore Netware to NT -Reply

1998-09-18 13:25:37
Subject: Re: Cross Client restore Netware to NT -Reply
From: Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:25:37 -0600
Andrew Raibeck wrote:

> No this will not work. ADSM does not support
> cross-platform restore, except in some cases
> where the file systems are alike (i.e. restoring
> OS/2 FAT files to Windows, etc.).
>
> One particular inhibitor with NetWare is that
> the NetWare TSA "bundles" the file and its
> attributes into a format called SIDF (I forget
> what this stands for) which is Novell
> proprietary. ADSM then stores the bundled file
> on the server. When ADSM restores the file, it
> passes the bundle back to the NetWare TSA, which
> unbundles the file and attributes and writes
> them to disk.

I assume this bundled SIDF includes things like the
"namespace" name for a file?  How is it that a
product like ARCServe can display the namespace
name when it uses the TSA to back up as well.  If there
was any NetWare supported way to get the namespace name
for a file when it is being backed up, it would be
very useful for the ADSM client to store this as meta
data about the file, just like the UNIX client stores
permissions and ACL's as meta data.

> In order to restore a meaningful file, it needs
> to be unbundled properly. The unbundling can
> only be performed by NetWare's TSA. So even if
> ADSM were to put the bundled file back on, say,
> Windows NT, Windows NT does not understand
> Novell's SIDF format, and it can't unbundle the
> file.
>
> Regards,
>
> Andy
>
> Andy Raibeck