ADSM-L

Exclude through clientopt

1998-09-17 15:23:37
Subject: Exclude through clientopt
From: Rejean Larivee <rlarivee AT CA.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 15:23:37 -0400
Hello,
the use of admin commands can be very confusing when spaces are involved.
This case even more so.It all depends which admin interface you use :
A) When you use the GUI :
    The file specification MUST be surrounded with single quotes.
    Therefore you need to enter the following in the "Option Value"
    entry box:
      exclude 'c:\windows\Temporary Internet Files\...\*'
B) When you use the admin command line in loop mode :
    The whole exclude statement must be surrounde with double quotes.
    Therefore, you need to enter the following :
      define clientopt OPTSET INCLEXCL "exclude 'c:\windows\Temporary Internet
Files\...\*'"
C) When you use the admin command line in batch :
    This is where it is starting to get complicated. The only way I was able
    to get this to work was to use only single quotes. The command looks like
this :
      dsmadmc -id=admin -pa=admin define clientopt
         OPTSET INCLEXCL 'exclude ''c:\windows\Temporary Internet Files\...\*'''
    As you can see, I had to use 3 pairs on sigle quotes to make this work
    properly in this case. I would have expected the command to be the same
    as B) but could not make it work.
D) When you use the WEB admin COMMAND box :
    The command to enter is the same as in B)
E) When you use the WEB admin "client options" icon :
    same as in A)
In all cases, the files are properly excluded when using a nodename associated
to the named client options set.
Now, you must understand that the options that the Exclude/Include options
in the client options set are "additive" options and will not override the
exclude/include options in the client options file. Also, the sequence number
in the client option set determines the order in which the include/exclude
statements are "added" to the existing include/exclude statements of the
client options file. The statements from the client options set are added at the
end of the include/exclude statements of the options file, in sequence order.
For example, suppose you define 1 option in a client option set like this :
   define clientopt OPTSET INCLEXCL "include a:\test\*" seq=0
and suppose you have the following exclude statement in your options file
   exclude a:\test\*
then the client option from the client options set is added to the existing
options which forms the following :
   exclude a:\test\*
   include a:\test\*
Now since the statements are read from bottom up, the files under a:\test
will be backed up. Now suppose you have define the following options set :
   define clientopt OPTSET INCLEXCL "include a:\test\*" seq=0
   define clientopt OPTSET INCLEXCL "exclude a:\test\*" seq=1
and suppose you have the following include statement in your options file :
    exclude a:\MYDIR\*
then the resulting include/exclude statements would be :
   exclude a:\MYDIR\*
   include a:\test\*
   exclude a:\test\*
and this time the the files under a:\test\ will not be backed up. I will agree
that the documentation on this subject is not all that clear. Hopefully, this
will help clarify a few things.

Rejean Larivee
Rejean Larivee
ADSM Level 2 Support

Eric,

Try using single quotes as in:
exclude 'c:\windows\Temporary Internet Files\...\*'

Now, if you or anyone else can tell me the answer to the following
question, then we're really getting somewhere:
If you have an Include in clientopt (on the server), and an Exclude in
dsm.opt (on the client), then which comes first?  My question assumes the
Include and Exclude refer to the same filemask and that the Override option
does not come into play.

I would like to exclude c:\windows\Temporary Internet Files\...\* from
the backup. I tried adding the following lines through the GUI:

exclude "c:\windows\Temporary Internet Files\...\*"
result:
09/16/1998 14:25:12 ANR2023E DEFINE CLIENTOPT: Extraneous parameter -
c:\windows\Temporary.

"exclude c:\windows\Temporary Internet Files\...\*"
result:
09/16/1998 14:25:12 ANR2023E DEFINE CLIENTOPT: Extraneous parameter -
exclude.

exclude c:\windows\Temporary Internet Files\...\*
result:
09/16/1998 14:23:11 Management class 'INTERNET' named on include/exclude
line 0 does not exist.

What should I enter to exclude this?
Thanks in advance!
Kindest regards,